Monday, May 26, 2008

Struck by discussion...

The discussion continues!!!

I would like to thank those of you who have supported and encouraged me by sharing in my excitement for getting my first published book. Every person who has contacted me after reading it has told me that they could not put it down! So many people have shared experiences and I have heard repeatedly from so many who know someone who is living some of the realities I wrote about. It reminds us all that these situations are not new or unique, yet conversation is inspired from stories like these when we allow ourselves to take objective views of such heavy issues. Continued discussion about these issues can bring about change that can promote healthier relationships that begin with self love and good self esteem.

I have received a lot of feedback and in particular, was invited to a restaurant in Jersey City, NJ by one of the owners, Curvon Currington. He welcomed me into his restaurant and told me that he read my book twice! It really made me feel good when he told me that. He was even able to repeat, 'verbatim' some of what I wrote in his most favorite stories.

The name of the restaurant is Cedric's Original Chilltown Restaurant. I went there with a very close friend who has also been very supportive of my effort in writing my first book. I must say, the food was delicious!!! If you're ever in the area, I encourage you stop in... you will be glad you did. It's 'real' soul food, y'all! I had flounder with collards and yams. Delicious!!!!!


Cedric's Original Chilltown Restaurant

302 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Jersey City, NJ 07305

201-333-5088


Another friend, Doreen Adams, was so moved by my book that she was inspired to organize a Book Discussion Party. She has truly been very supportive of my endeavor, as well as so many others. We invited some friends to come and relax for an afternoon of food, fun and discussion of stories, as well as issues surrounding the the general theme of the book. It was a wonderful afternoon with friends who came to my home, ready for discussion. Carol Hill, Doreen's cousin agreed to facilitate the event, and she came with some delicious vegetarian meatballs, to add to the cuisine of African Curry Shrimp that I have a really good recipe for. Oh... and Sharon Jones' Sweet Potato Cake was 'to die for'!!!!

We began the discussion by requesting that everyone write down their most favorite and least favorite stories in Struck By Lightning and other bolts of reality.

After taking a poll, the facilitator (Carol Hill), began the discussion of those stories that were selected as the most favorite and least favorite, and the reasons for those decisions. This led to a lively discussion about the first story, Struck By Lightning.






We talked about how our society leads so many women down the road of desperation and denial, that this sometimes leads to women resorting to marrying men who are very toxic to their psyche and physical well being. We talked about the many reasons that some men end up in such a state where they are habitually co-dependent and predatory. We talked about single motherhood and how we must encourage women to make better choices in their lives. We have to get away from stigmatizing women who choose to be alone so that mistakes out of desperation are not made. We also need to encourage men to raise their sons to be men, and help each other.

The general consensus on the 'least' favorite story was Phantasmic Self and the reason was the horrid and selfish nature of the man in the story and the woman who loved him unconditionally and in such a self destructive way. This story is raw with details and focuses on issues that most people would rather not discuss. Yet all could acknowledge that these things do happen, and staying quiet leaves so many to suffer in silence instead of getting the help they need to make the necessary changes to end suffering, and begin healing on the road to happiness and serenity.

Although the issues are heavy, we kept the discussion light with hope as we laughed, talked, ate, drank, and talked some more....


Not everyone was thrilled with the content and theme of the stories and I have come across some people, (mostly men) who seemed defensive after reading the stories in my book. These stories are just an example of what many people deal with in reality and my hope is not that anyone would come away feeling that it is about blame, or that blame should weigh more heavily on men or women, but that we all have a part to play in raising ourselves up to a higher level of consciousness were respect, love, responsibility and accountability are characteristics of priority.



We asked everyone to bring a wrapped book so that we could play a game after the discussion. We wanted to end on a light note so we played a 'Book Swap' game, to round off the evening. We put the wrapped books in a pile and let everyone pick a number out of a bag. The person who had number 1, started the game off by picking one of the wrapped books, and then she unwrapped it. The person with number 2, could either take a wrapped book from the pile, or take the book that person number 1 had. It was a lot of fun!


I ended up with a book I hadn't read before.... Sula by Toni Morrison. I recently finished reading it and it was a good read! I have read a few of Toni Morrison's books and she is one of my favorite authors. There were other interesting books being swapped like Barack Obama's book, 'The Audacity of Hope' and an African-American cookbook that I wanted to get my hands on.... but it was 'swapped' away from me! :)


I was asked why I wrote this book, and if I had plans to write another... and was given an opportunity to tell everyone how it has been a life long dream for me to become a writer. Realizing this dream has been so fulfilling for me, and thanks to my family and friends and especially those who attended this party, I am even more motivated and inspired to continue. I have a few projects drafted out and ideas filed away, but my next project is a novel with a 'science fiction' flare.

Stay tuned.....

I would love for anyone who has read my book to please leave comments and feedback. And don't forget to visit my website regularly... I have many intersting links there as well as some interesting resources.


Cyd's World


Cyd

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool book party! It seems that you have alot of fun! I need to buy the book, so I can get in the action.

Further note: Sula is a very good book! One of the best, I think!

Keep writing hard! :o)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good time I'm so happy 4 you being a writer I know how truly hard it is to write a book. Keep up the hard work and I'm sure you will be at the top of the bestsellers list in no time

iCuLurking said...

Congrats on your book...Good for you Missy!