Sunday, December 17, 2006

'N' Word Song!

Clawfinger – 'N' word song!

I listened to this song and I gotta say..... for some reason, it still got under my skin.

I’m looking at these white guys singing a chorus... ‘Nigga! nigga nigga nigga nigga’, and even though they’re singing about how negative the word is and how they can’t understand why black folks would call each other that, the chorus almost makes me forget what they’re getting at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-u46BUCw8&NR

Now isn’t it ironic, that we have white folks who are embarrassed and taught that it’s wrong to say it, yet there are black folks who are now trying to tell them it’s OK, go ahead and call them ‘nigga’. Blows my mind! I just never thought in my life time I’d ever see black folks tell white folks its OK to call them ‘nigga’, nigger, niggra... (whoops! Is ‘niggra OK too?).



(See more Jim Crow memorabilia here... http://www.prwatch.org/node/4005)

But the world witnessed that happen on that reality show ‘Black/White’ where the black teenager showed his ignorance and told those white kids it was OK to say ‘nigger’ around him. Man! I bet that made his parents proud.
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2006/03/08/black_white_is_more_than_a_reality_gimmick/


Song: Nigger Lyrics
http://www.lyrics007.com/Clawfinger%20Lyrics/Nigger%20Lyrics.html
Artist: Clawfinger Lyrics

Goddamn my man you see I can't understand
Why you wanna say Nigger to your brother man
Taking black pride then you call yourself a Nigger
Don't bring yourself down cos it just don't figure
Take a look at yourself and your history
You don't look like a goddamn Nigger to me
It's a negative world and the white man made it
Gave you a name to dominate and trade it
Making blood money of his very own race man
And all of this because the colour of your face man

Nigger Nigger Nigger Nigger

Placed and educated in a neighbourhood of crime
Taught from the beginning that you weren't worth time
Liquorstore and gunstore next to one another
With only one purpose so you all kill each other
Leaving one less problem to worry about
That's the way they do it this is how it turns out
And justice for all with the American goverment
I wanna know where all the goddamn money went
We didn't see it and it didn't do no good
I guess you couldn't give a fuck about a black neighbourhood

Nigger Nigger Nigger Nigger Nigger
You're the real Niggers,
You're the real Niggers,
You're the real Niggers

There's always gonna be fanatical minorities
The ku klux klan and fucked up authorities
Conservative cunts and religious preachers
I don't care cos they ain't our teachers
Living a life they say is free from sin
Then they judge another person by the colour of their skin
I feel ashamed of myself I'm a white human being
Surrounded by suckers to afraid to be seeing
There ain't such a thing called superior race
And there ain't nothing special 'bout colour of your face
You've got a one way ticket to a dead end street
The pressure is on so feel the heat
Media pollution is a very bad solution
Hypocriticat hype is your only contribution
So leave us alone and give your brothers some space
Cos you're a lousy contribution to the human race

Nigger Nigger ...

Well. ‘In My Opinion’, it is the failure of my generation and prior that has led our current generation of younger folks, to not have self respect and self love which has led them to promoting the use of such a derogatory term and bringing it forth, mainstream and telling white folks its OK to call them 'niggas'.

I hate it and I think it’s tragic.

And I think it’s rather obvious that there are other forces at work that promote this insane behavior, especially now that parents are not even allowed to discipline their children. (Time out?)

I sent an email and posted messages in various egroups to get a sense of how people felt about this song, sung by a group of white men, and feelings were mixed. Some say that the word ‘nigger’ doesn’t bother them and feel being called ‘black’ is just as derogatory. I’d rather be referred to as black.

I hate to thank Michael Richards for bringing this issue back in the front of our discussions, but here we are. I feel that the ‘N’ word should be relegated to the list of cuss words that we were taught from childhood are offensive and indecent. Can’t we just leave it there?

9 comments:

Cyd Webster Beacham said...

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur30147.cfm

Zakdaddy said...

Hi Cyd, the name's Zak & I'm the vocalist & lyricist in Clawfinger! It is a tricky topic to adress & being that we're an all "pink" band that takes away our right to have an opinion according to some people! I don't agree & I'm not going to apologize for this track as it's done honestly & from the heart about a topic I find worrying & interesting still to this day, we wrote the song 15 years ago, I was 21 at the time and yes it may be naive & taking it too far but still I was trying to say something! Of course we knew it would cause discusions & get reactions and that was actually part of the point of the song even if I can honestly say that I didn't understand just how much some people would respond, react & even attack us! In all honesty I was just asking a question and at the same time throwing some shit at the American government for not taking care of their own people! I have no answers, I just believe in common sense, treating all people equally & judging others based on their actions & not their skin colour! I haven't really answered your questions but I just felt the need to let you know I read your post & found it very interesting! Feel free to mail me if you want, you can find the e-mail adress on our homepage http://www.clawfinger.com Take care and have a sweet Christmas & hopefully a New Years that will lead this world in a better & more loving direction, One love/Zak

Cyd Webster Beacham said...

(Response to Zakdaddy...)

I can't deny the fact that I'm so conflicted with your effort. I feel glad that you, like me feel that it is so demeaning for us to call each other such a foul word. I also feel sad that so many black people are so beat down that they aren't even interested in standing up for respect in this regard. UGH!

Anyway... I appreciate your note and I wish you well! (Amen! to your last comment!)

Unknown said...

Whew...the "N" word - will it ever go away? In my opinion, NO. Everyone has an opinion about it. And as long as everyone has an opinion...

Black/White people said/sang the word during the civil rights marches and before. Black/White folks are saying/singing it now. What year is this?

When Jesus comes I'm sure He will tell us how to handle it. Because in my opinion, He is the only one who can/will cease it's use.

Wanda D. Hudson
Wait for Love: A Black Girl's Story
http://www.wandadhudson.com

Zakdaddy said...

I understand your conflict Cyd, actually I can never really understand it properly coming from an entirely different background but I understand that a word that originates from so much pure evil is not one you want to hear again EVER! It is sad that so many people care so little about standing up for themselves regardless of whether we're talking racial issues or the struggle for a fair life in general but as you said being beat down so many times makes alot of people lose their guts & abandon hope! The ones who don't lose it often end up misdirecting their anger & frustration instead & It's sad & disillusioning to see how we never learn from our own mistakes & continue to fall into the same traps! We can only hope for better times and try and change things in our closest surroundings! Makes me think of a line in a Chuck D song.."If I can't change the people around me, I change the people around me"!

Regarding Wandas remark well I think we might end up waiting a LOOOOONG time if we rely on others to fix things for us humans, still if that's what keeps you afloat & moving on then I can't really argue!

Take care everyone and enjoy Christmas, a new year is close at hand so let's make the most of it! peace/Zak

Anonymous said...

On a semi-related note, in The Netherlands calling someone "zwart" (black) is very offensive whereas calling someone "neger" (also derived from the latin "niger") is in word value equal to the American English "black".

And related to that, apperently in South-Africa you can't order your coffee "black", because of the apartheid (here that usage of the word is seen as completely unrelated whereas there the very word itself is unacceptable).

That was completely off topic, so I'm just going to end by saying that I like Clawfinger's work a lot including the message conveyed in their lyrics, even if in the song "Nigger" it might not be brought in the most "non-offensive" manner! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wishing all a HAPPY NEW YEAR here in Atlanta, first of all I learned of this blog topic by my friend who happens to be Cyd's younger sister. From reading the lyrics of the song and reading the vocalist's comments it sounds as though he's stating that the song is not meant to come off as being racially derogatory yet, regardless of the fact the intention is not negative the principle of the matter is that it is.

Perhaps in writing future music a song could be done on how this entire planet in general needs to take a look at itself and changes that need to be made. For instance America with its homelessness and drugs, South Africa with the A.I.D.S epdemic, and these different countries that're at war.

Ignorance in this world is going to be ALWAYS around but, each one of us as individuals when expressing oursevles creatively should do what we can to not feed into it. Have a great day all!

James
jabruin_27@yahoo.com

p.s.
Silverado is one of my favorite movies also. (smile)

Zakdaddy said...

Well James trying to comment on the entire planet in general within the context of a 3-4 minute song might prove to be just a little big tricky but of course you're right, there are many other topics that need to be adressed! Since "Deaf Dumb Blind" which is the album the "N" song was on we've released 5 further albums and although racism will continue to be a main concern I have written lyrics about Gun control, homophobia, megalomania, rape, war and other stupidities big & small! it's true that ignorance will always be around & that's why I feel a need to write about topics that trouble me & hopefully rid some of my own ignorance during the process! Take care/Zak

Cyd Webster Beacham said...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4490664.html