Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Shopping While Black

(I don't know about y'all, but I find myself doing pretty much what is described in the first paragraph sometimes when I go into a store because I get so tired of being profiled. Its insulting. When I notice that I'm being followed or get some indication of feeling that I am perceived as some kind of criminal in the store, I leave and go spend my money somewhere else. I feel like they can at least be better at hiding their racist profiling.)

'Shopping While Black': Would You Stop Racism?

Reactions Vary When Store Clerk and Security Guard Profile Shoppers

When New Yorker Denise Simon goes shopping, she is always on guard. She carries a small bag, keeps her hands visible whenever possible, and makes an effort to be overly friendly to sales clerks. She doesn't have any reason to be wary except for one thing -- she happens to be black. And if she doesn't take these precautions, she fears she will once again fall victim to racial profiling.
http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/story?id=7131333&page=1

Photo: 'Shopping While Black': Would You Stop Racism? Reactions Vary When Store Clerk and Security Guard Profile Shoppers
"What Would You Do?" hired actors to play a racist store clerk and security guard, both armed with words that would make even the most apathetic shopper flinch. An actor was hired to pose as the black shopper, the target of the abuse.

No comments: