Saturday, December 12, 2020

FTPs we are! Tools of the trade

(Finding this journal that I wrote in makes me chuckle at how aggravated I was back then LOL! )

5/3/2005

As if I weren't aggravated enough, my laptop is being it's true crappy self and giving me a hard time in this hotel room. 


The funny thing is, I'm in the better hotel as they say. It's the full service hotel... yet they charge $9.95 per day to connect to the internet. The step down version of these hotels are cheaper, and don't charge for internet connection. 

My laptop decides that it doesn't like the connection and goes through all kinds of proxy errors and whatnot. Ugh! I'm so aggravated. This could mean that after all the demands I made about taking my class while traveling were futile, and I won't be able to take it anyway since it's online. 

This crappy laptop is so slow regularly, anyway. I keep cleaning up the disk which is a test of my already short patience. I peek over at the stupid machine from the bed and see that it's still churning away. That glance made me see the coffee maker sitting there behind it. The coffee maker would churn better than my laptop I'm thinking. Ah! I'll make some coffee.

Finally! It has analyzed my disk, only to show a few kbs in my recycle bin. OMG. Damn! This thing ran for 20 minutes, for a few kbs. That's it????!!!!

Oh well... now I'll set the defrag, and go to the fitness center. The workout will calm my nerves.


5/9/2005

Week 3  into this assignment, and all ain't well.

It was a rather bumpy flight this time. And then we had to sit on the tarmac, waiting for our jetway to become available.


What a way to make a living. I probably would have enjoyed this 20 years ago. But these corporations have taken all the fun out of everything. 

What a way to earn a living. And I have looming visions of it all slipping away. I calm myself after that reality creeps into my spirit, and tell myself it won't be so bad. After surviving worse, many years ago, this isn't so bad.

Still, I can't see this lasting the way things are right now. Maybe I'll get used to it. Maybe they will get tired of my independent attitude. They could ask me to leave the project at any time. There I go again. The trauma of watching so many co workers get laid off after we were forced to train our replacements has affected me deeply, this is very evident. 

What a way to work!


5/12/2005

Things do happen for a reason. And somehow, I am ending up in the situation as I somehow hoped it would be. Still employed.

                                            By Susan P. Joyce


Yet it is a chaotic nightmare. I still have ice skates on. Only now, panic has turned into cynical numbness.  Yes, I have a mortgage to pay and I love my condo. But I can be just as happy renting a small efficiency. I have to entertain the possibility and be grateful and thankful that I have experienced living so well. I am truly blessed! Truly!




No comments: