Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Beware! A. O. Smith Hot Water Heaters.... hundreds of complaints!

(I'm passing this message on that I received from a friend, after we spoke on the phone. The water heater company actually lied to her. They said they've never heard of any problems like hers... but when she googled it, there were hundreds of complaints. Beware of A.O. Smith Promax Hot Water Heaters!)


I purchased an A. O. Smith Promax hot water heater 6 years 3 months ago. I started having problems with the pilot going out for no reason. I called Advantage Plumbing (they installed the unit) to investigate. Each time the plumber came to light the pilot he said that he couldn't explain why the pilot kept going out. Advantage owner told me that they hadn't received any other complaints on the unit. One week before Christmas the pilot starting going out every 20 minutes. Now they've determined that we need to replace the unit. The warranty was up 3 months ago. A hot water heater should last longer than six years. I decided to check the internet to see if there was a recall or something on that heater. I found out that there have been hundreds of complaints over the past couple of years. Please beware of the A.O. Smith Promax water heater!!!!!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/ao_smith.html

Have a blessed day,

Cheryl

1 comment:

iRoe said...

Needless to say I understand your frustration, but did you ever conscider how much you really use your heater and the stress and pressure you put on it.
I actually provide technical support for about 6 different brands of water heaters, ranging from AO Smith, Whirlpool, American Water Heater, Reliance, Maytag & State Water Heaters.

I bet you were conscidering getting rid of the number one brand of water heater in the world for one of those brands?

I bet you also didnt know that AO Smith owns them all?
I ALSO bet you didnt know that they are ALL the same heater just branded differently.

The problems your having are more than likely fixable its just so frustrating not having hot water that you assume replacing the heater will solve your problem...
In all reality, I would probably think that way aswell, however once you wrap your head around the basics conscering your heater, you would actually be suprised on how simple it really is to fix.

By the way, find me ONE brand... anywhere... that doesnt have complaints. ;) just saying