Friday, January 07, 2011

Greens!

So for the past few days, I've been having a taste for some Mustard Greens. I searched last week in ShopRite for the Glory Greens (already cleaned and cut in a bag) kind, but found none, and ended up cooking some collards and kale.... and it was good! :)

So today.... I broke down and decided to grab the bundles that were sitting there looking so fresh and green... all the while thinking about how much work it was going to be to clean and cut them up. It was as if I was on 'auto-pilot' that I grabbed them, weighed them and put them all in my cart. I didn't leave one bundle there... took all of them... LOL! I took them all because I could hear my mother's voice in my head saying... 'they cook down to nothing'.

And so here I sit smelling the aroma... YUM... I started off with some EVOO and cut up a red onion, fresh garlic, celery, red pepper and jalepeno. I cooked all that in the EVOO with the lid on the pot, tight so that the juices would marry together in the pot. Ohhhh it smells so delicious as I lifted the lid to stir it around.

In the meantime.... I washed all those greens, cut them and put them in my salad spinner to get the excess water off. UGH... it was a job because I had to do that 5 times. Each time I spun some, I put them in the pot and as they wilted, I spun another batch. Oh... and I had dissolved a Vegetable Bouillon in 2 cups of water and added it to the pot. I used to use some pork neck bones years ago... then I started using turkey bacon after getting a recipe from Oprah's magazine. But lately, I've ditched the meat altogether.... and they taste so good that way!

So now I've turned the heat way down to simmer and letting those greens cook for a while... after 30 minutes, I'll start adding some seasoning.... butter, Lawry's Seasoned Salt or Sea Salt... (shhhhhhh.... I add a little sugar too.... got that from Oprah! LOL!) and then I let them cook for 30 or so minutes more.... and then WALA....... they're done!

YUM!

(Thanks for keeping me company while I cook my greens :)


No comments: